Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sun Stand Still

As Prayer Chair of my sorority, it is my job to plan the Bible studies for each semester! After much thought, I chose Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick, pastor of Elevation Church!! I am so excited to start reading it with my girls! We also have some great girls leading Bible studies this semester :)

“Without good direction, people lose their way; the more wise counsel you have, the better your chances.” - Proverbs 11:14

“But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a LEADER among you, must be your servant.”
- Matthew 20:26

My hope for my Bible study group is that they really take advantage of this time together. I want for them to PRAY with and for each other.  SHARE their struggles and triumphs with each other. LISTEN to what is going on in each girl’s life. ENCOURAGE each other on a regular basis. GROW with each other in Christ. And finally, CHALLENGE each other to not just be mediocre Christians, but to be radical Christians for Christ. To go to God with every problem, no matter how small. To trust God when things start falling apart. To trust God when things start getting better. To love instead of hate and to forgive when its hard. To not only have faith that God can help you through some things. But to have faith that God can do the IMPOSSIBLE.

Sun Stand Still is all about having audacious faith. "Audacity makes regular people behave with boldness or daring, especially with confident disregard for personal comfort or conventional thought. When you live with audacious faith in Christ, your eyes will be opened to see your day-to-day life in vivid color. Your spiritual growth will accelerate at a super natural pace. You will find a higher calling to fulfillment and significance that God deeply desires for your future job, your relationships, a marriage, your finances, and your impact on this world."

What I desire most this semester is for us to be CHALLENGED. I want for us to accept the fact that ordinary people, you and me, can do miraculous things for God. I want to see the sun stand still in our lives. 

“On the day the LORD gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the LORD in the presence of Israel:
Sun, stand still over Gibeon,

and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.”
So the sun stood still,
and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies,

The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. 
There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the LORD listened to a human being. Surely the LORD was fighting for Israel!”
- Joshua 10:12-14

2 comments:

  1. hey so i love you. and you're awesome! and me you and kendall should have a Bones party. just sayin
    -Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol love you too renee! i would love to have a Bones party soon! my favorite show with some of my favorite people :)

    ReplyDelete